How much sun do I need each day?

Exposure to sunlight increases skin synthesis of vitamin D. A sensible amount of sun exposure to the arms and legs would be five to 30 minutes at least three days per week. That’s enough to get the benefit while avoiding skin damage from too much exposure.
Arthur W. Perry, MD
Plastic Surgery
We don’t want to block sunshine completely -- about 20 minutes each day is good for us -- it boosts our vitamin D and improves our mood. Beyond 20 minutes, however, and our immune system suffers. We either need to spend the rest of the day inside or protect our skin with sunscreen.

Continue Learning about Sun Care

How to Choose and Use Your Sunscreen
How to Choose and Use Your Sunscreen
On an episode of Seinfeld, Jerry and Newman discover Kramer asleep on the roof, shirtless, on a very sunny day. “Oh man,” Kramer says when they wake h...
What is the maximum daily dosage for sunscreens?
Most sunscreens do not have a maximum daily dosage. Check the label on the product you are using...
6 All-Natural Ways to Protect Your Skin in Hawaii
6 All-Natural Ways to Protect Your Skin in Hawaii6 All-Natural Ways to Protect Your Skin in Hawaii6 All-Natural Ways to Protect Your Skin in Hawaii6 All-Natural Ways to Protect Your Skin in Hawaii
From sunburns to melasma, here's how to beat the heat.
As a Teen, What Should I Do About a Bad Sunburn?