How can I acclimate my child to the sun?

Susan Evans
Dermatology
In order to protect your child from the sun and put him or her on the road to healthy sun play, spend about 10 minutes in the sun every day. Enjoy the warmth of it on your face and your body and do not worry about any sun protection during your short intake of Vitamin D. However, once you have consumed your daily dose, it’s time to seek shelter from the sun’s rays. Use sun block, which needs to be applied about 30 minutes in advance in order for it to be absorbed by the skin. Wear proper attire to help cover exposed skin, and don’t forget a wide brimmed hat and sun glasses. Stay in shaded areas whenever possible and drink water frequently to stay hydrated.

Continue Learning about Sun Care

How to Choose and Use Your Sunscreen
How to Choose and Use Your Sunscreen
On an episode of Seinfeld, Jerry and Newman discover Kramer asleep on the roof, shirtless, on a very sunny day. “Oh man,” Kramer says when they wake h...
How should I use sunscreens?
Here is how to use sunscreens in order to maximize the protection they offer: Apply sunscreen wi...
6 All-Natural Ways to Protect Your Skin in Hawaii
6 All-Natural Ways to Protect Your Skin in Hawaii6 All-Natural Ways to Protect Your Skin in Hawaii6 All-Natural Ways to Protect Your Skin in Hawaii6 All-Natural Ways to Protect Your Skin in Hawaii
From sunburns to melasma, here's how to beat the heat.
Why You Should Be Using More Sunscreen
Why You Should Be Using More Sunscreen