Does someone who wears sun protection develop fewer lines?

People who wear sun protection are likely to develop fewer lines and wrinkles than those who do not. The sun breaks down components of skin that keep it elastic. This makes skin more leathery in texture. Wearing sunscreen everyday will slow the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. Wearing wide-brimmed hats and long-sleeved shirts while in the sun will help as well. Talk to your dermatologist for more information.

Dr. Ellen Marmur, MD
Dermatology
Sun damage causes most wrinkling in the first place. Antioxidants like green tea are currently being studied for their potential to avert free-radical damage and consequently help prevent wrinkles. However, the jury is still out and many antioxidant products don't offer a stable, and thereby effective, form of the ingredient. They also can't substitute for the powerful protection of a sunblock. It's the one proven, preemptive, anti-aging product out there. The only topical skin care products that can truly prevent wrinkling are sunblock and retinoic acid. The regular use of prescription-strength Retin- A has been proven to decrease the development of fine lines and increase the formation of collagen, but this is far different from applying a basic moisturizer every day.
Simple Skin Beauty: Every Woman's Guide to a Lifetime of Healthy, Gorgeous Skin

What if a leading dermatologist just happened to be your best friend and you could ask her anything? DR. ELLEN MARMUR, a world-renowned New York City dermatologist, answers all your questions with...

Continue Learning about Sun Care

How to Choose and Use Your Sunscreen
How to Choose and Use Your Sunscreen
On an episode of Seinfeld, Jerry and Newman discover Kramer asleep on the roof, shirtless, on a very sunny day. “Oh man,” Kramer says when they wake h...
What is the safest way to get a tan?
Your best bet is to use the sunless tanners that are available at drugstores, cosmetics counters...
What are ways, other than sunscreen, to protect my skin from the sun?
Amy K. Kim, MDAmy K. Kim, MD
Sunscreen should be used in babies six months and older, and that will never change. What you want t...
How Often Should I Reapply Sunscreen If I Am Outdoors All Day?