Do you just have to apply sunscreen once to be effective?

How often you need to apply sunscreen depends on how much time you will be spending in the sun. If you’re going to be spending most of the day indoors and are exposed to sunlight just intermittently while running errands, applying sunscreen once in the morning will probably be enough to protect your skin. If you are going to be spending a day at the beach or outdoors for extended periods of time, you should apply a sunscreen with a sun protection factor of 30 or higher to all exposed areas of skin 30 minutes before going outside. Then reapply the sunscreen every two hours and immediately after swimming or sweating.

Continue Learning about Sun Care

Ways to Keep Your Skin Safe
Ways to Keep Your Skin Safe
Tom Brady may be the winningest QB in NFL history (207 wins over 19 years) but that doesn’t make him infallible. In his 2017 audaciously-titled book, ...
When should I use sunscreen?
Dr. Tanya R. Altmann, MDDr. Tanya R. Altmann, MD
Ideally, kids should have sunscreen on any time they're exposed to the sun for any period of time. I...
6 All-Natural Ways to Protect Your Skin in Hawaii
6 All-Natural Ways to Protect Your Skin in Hawaii6 All-Natural Ways to Protect Your Skin in Hawaii6 All-Natural Ways to Protect Your Skin in Hawaii6 All-Natural Ways to Protect Your Skin in Hawaii
From sunburns to melasma, here's how to beat the heat.
Are Waterproof Sunscreens Effective?
Are Waterproof Sunscreens Effective?