Is it dangerous to put sunscreen on my infant?

Dr. Ellen Marmur, MD
Dermatology
I too have always read and believed that you shouldn't apply sunscreen to an infant's skin before the age of six months. The worry was that a baby's skin will absorb and react to harsh chemical ingredients more readily than an older child's. Now I don't necessarily agree with that thinking. Here's what I recommend (as a dermatologist and a mom): I would use a sunscreen on my baby if he or she were outside in direct sunlight. I'd make sure to use a mineral sunblock such as zinc oxide or titanium dioxide that is gentler on the skin. But try to avoid micronized or nanosized ingredients. And the formulation should be baby-safe, with more natural than synthetic ingredients. Even better, make sure your infant avoids the direct sun completely. But if you're going to be outside for an extended period of time with your child, you must protect his or her skin. Make sure your baby wears a hat and stays under an umbrella or a sun-protective tent. Remember, your child is still getting sun even in the shade, and a covered baby stroller offers no more protection than an umbrella.
Simple Skin Beauty: Every Woman's Guide to a Lifetime of Healthy, Gorgeous Skin

What if a leading dermatologist just happened to be your best friend and you could ask her anything? DR. ELLEN MARMUR, a world-renowned New York City dermatologist, answers all your questions with...

Continue Learning about Sun Care

How should I protect my skin from the sun?
Too much sun exposure can be detrimental to skin health and appearance. In this video, Dr. Oz gi...
How should I use sunscreen on my child?
Phillip J. Landrigan, MDPhillip J. Landrigan, MD
Sunscreen should be applied 30 minutes before going outdoors and should be reapplied every two h...
How do sunscreens prevent skin damage from the sun?
Sunscreens protect the skin from ultraviolet (UV) rays in two ways: chemically and physically. ...
What are the FDA’s guidelines for sunscreen labels?
HealthCorpsHealthCorps
The FDA has determined that consumers need far more clarification when it comes to what these produc...