Can lycopene help protect skin from sun damage?

By now you know the importance of wearing sunscreen to protect yourself from sun damage that can lead to skin cancer. But you probably didn’t know that the nutrient found in tomatoes, lycopene, can protect your skin from the inside out. In fact, a British study showed that volunteers who ate 5 tablespoons of tomato paste with 10 grams of olive oil a day for 12 weeks were 33% less likely to burn from UV exposure than those who only ate olive oil. Researchers believe it was due to the lycopene producing procollagen, a molecule that helps protect the skin.

Unless you’re able to eat a lot of tomato-based meals, you should supplement your lycopene intake during the summer months to protect against sun exposure. Try taking 16 mg per day. And remember that a lycopene supplement is just that -- a supplement -- and not a replacement for sunscreen.
This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Sun Care

Can Music Therapy Help Ease Parkinson's Symptoms?
When Michael J. Fox rocked out on Johnny B. Goode with Cold Play during a concert at New Jersey’s MetLife Stadium in July 2016 it was wonderful to hea...
How well does clothing protect me from the sun?
Not all clothing protects the same, and some does not protect you at all. Research says that if ...
6 All-Natural Ways to Protect Your Skin in Hawaii
6 All-Natural Ways to Protect Your Skin in Hawaii6 All-Natural Ways to Protect Your Skin in Hawaii6 All-Natural Ways to Protect Your Skin in Hawaii6 All-Natural Ways to Protect Your Skin in Hawaii
From sunburns to melasma, here's how to beat the heat.
How Often Should I Reapply Sunscreen If I Am Outdoors All Day?