Are there any side effects of sunscreens?

Sunscreens may cause skin irritation, acne, and tightening or drying of the skin.  In rare cases, sunscreens can cause skin symptoms including itching; stinging; burning; clogged hair follicles; pain in areas that are hairy; redness or swelling that appears early after use; and rashes that appear later after use. Rashes may or may not have blisters that weep fluid or become crusty, and they may spread to areas of the skin that were not originally exposed to sunscreen.

Sunscreens may also cause reactions in people who are allergic to the ingredients they contain. Get medical help immediately if you experience symptoms of a severe allergic reaction, including chest tightness; trouble breathing; swelling of the tongue, lips, mouth or face; hives; or skin irritation that is severe or ongoing.

Continue Learning about Sun Care

Is it safe to get a tan?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
Don’t get a tan, either from the sun or from tanning booths. Tanning booths are not safe. Studies h...
How often should I reapply sunscreen if I am outdoors all day?
Medical City McKinneyMedical City McKinney
You should reapply sunscreen every one to two hours if you’re going to be out in the sun all day. Yo...
What are ways, other than sunscreen, to protect my skin from the sun?
Clothing is your first line of defense. Covering your skin is one of the best ways you can protect y...
How does sun exposure damage skin?
Sunlight consists of two main types of ultraviolet (UV) rays that damage skin -- UVA and UVB ray...