Why are suicidal thoughts common in people with bipolar disorder?

John Preston, PsyD
Suicidal thoughts and impulses are common symptoms that can be the most worrisome aspect of bipolar disorder for those with the illness and their partners. Sometimes, such impulses arise from feelings of self-hatred and guilt, although, most times, the urge to kill oneself is born of the desire to just stop suffering. Sadly, the suicide rate among those with bipolar disorder is quite high, and thus any suicide threat must be taken seriously. The best solution for preventing suicide is to get aggressive and appropriate holistic treatment for bipolar disorder and to work together to make life worth living for yourself and your partner. Suicidal thoughts seem so personal and emotional, but it helps if you understand that they are often a normal part of bipolar disorder.
Loving Someone with Bipolar Disorder: Understanding and Helping Your Partner (The New Harbinger Loving Someone Series)

Maintaining a relationship is hard enough without the added challenges of your partner’s bipolar disorder symptoms. Loving Someone with Bipolar Disorder offers information and step-by-step advice...

Continue Learning about Suicide & Suicidal Behavior

Chris Cornell of Soundgarden Dead at 52
Chris Cornell of Soundgarden Dead at 52
Chris Cornell, lead singer of Soundgarden and titan of grunge music, killed himself by hanging in Detroit, Michigan, on Wednesday, May 17. Cornell pla...
How to Help Someone Who Is Contemplating Suicide
Suicide is more common in our country than murder, says Jeff Sommers, MD, a psychiatrist from Henrico Doctors' Hospital in Richmond, Virginia. “We hav...
What should I do if my child says something that sounds suicidal?
Hal RunkelHal Runkel
If your child says something that sounds suicidal, such as, "I don't want to be here" or "I'm going ...
Should I talk to my child about a teen’s suicide?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Though we want to protect our own children from such horrific news, please don’t. Our children n...