Why should I avoid discussing suicide with a relative with mental illness?

It has been well documented that front-page suicides reported in the media result in a number of "copy cat" suicides. Many newspapers now report any local suicides on an inside page and avoid tabloid type reporting.

It is best not to discuss in any detail any local event of this kind with a mentally ill relative or within their hearing. By this we do not mean that suicide should not be discussed, but rather it should not be discussed in relation to media reports.

Continue Learning about Suicide & Suicidal Behavior

The Subtle Warning Signs of Suicide in Kids That Everyone Should Know
There’s a troubling new health trend among kids, according to data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). After years of relative...
5 Suicide Risk Factors You Need to Know About
It’s troubling but true: suicide rates are on the rise in the United States. In 2016, 44,965 Americans completed a suicide, up from 44,193 in 2015 an...
How can I cope with people's reactions to a relative's attempted suicide?
World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)
Neighbors or other people you know may ask about your relative who attempted suicide. Telling them c...
What is suicide?
Raychelle C. Lohmann, MS, LPCRaychelle C. Lohmann, MS, LPC
Suicide is the voluntary and intentional act of taking of one’s life. Suicide is commonly carried ou...