Why should I avoid discussing suicide with a relative with mental illness?

It has been well documented that front-page suicides reported in the media result in a number of "copy cat" suicides. Many newspapers now report any local suicides on an inside page and avoid tabloid type reporting.

It is best not to discuss in any detail any local event of this kind with a mentally ill relative or within their hearing. By this we do not mean that suicide should not be discussed, but rather it should not be discussed in relation to media reports.

Continue Learning about Suicide & Suicidal Behavior

Suicide Warning Signs
Suicide Warning Signs
Suicide is a top 10 cause of death in the United States and the second leading cause of death among young people ages 15-24 years. According to adoles...
5 Suicide Risk Factors You Need to Know About
It’s troubling but true: suicide rates are on the rise in the United States. In 2016, 44,965 Americans completed a suicide, up from 44,193 in 2015 an...
What is self-embedding disorder?
Deborah Serani, PsyDDeborah Serani, PsyD
Self-Embedding Disorder takes the behavior of cutting a step further by introducing an object or...
What are warning signs that my loved one may be about to attempt suicide?
World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)
The following are indicators that a relative or friend may be about to attempt suicide. The person m...