What are warning signs of suicide in people with bipolar disorder?

All of us would like to know of any warning signs that a suicide attempt is imminent in people with bipolar disorder. The answer is sometimes there are, but sometimes the suicide occurs in a severe mixed state that occurs suddenly, and friends may have no way of seeing it coming. The warning signs that can tip one off are several, including talk of suicide or death, or just references to death. The individual may "put their affairs in order" by giving things away, updating a will, going through the garage full of stuff, and doing the things that would make it easier on those they leave behind. Acquiring information online about how to commit suicide or researching materials to help one commit suicide are of course major red flags. Rehearsal, in the form of visiting the place one plans to commit suicide, tying a rope, or dry firing a gun, are all serious red flags as well.

Continue Learning about Suicide & Suicidal Behavior

What questions should I ask a person who may be considering suicide?
World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)
You must be absolutely sincere in your approach to a potentially suicidal person. Don't be afraid to...
Can I talk someone out of attempting suicide?
In general people want to live, and by using a caring approach to finding out what has brought the p...
Do baby boomers have a higher rate of suicide than previous generations?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
A pair of disturbing statistics highlighted health headlines in 2008. At the start of the year, info...
What should I do if I have thoughts of suicide?
Ileen CravenIleen Craven
Pain comes in many forms and though many are taught about physical pain, there is less conversation ...