What can help prevent suicide in people with bipolar disorder?

In addition to securing firearms, treating or preventing substance abuse, helping the person to build a support group, and being especially vigilant with those who have lost a close relative to suicide, there are additional interventions available to minimize the likelihood that a person with bipolar disorder will commit suicide.

It is so important that those with bipolar disorder seek treatment with psychiatrists who are skilled at treating this illness. Sadly, it is not safe to assume that all psychiatrists treat this illness well. In order to find a physician where you reside, it may be helpful to go to the consumer support groups or call them and ask "who is the best?" In this illness, where the mood can pivot on a dime, the psychiatrist needs to be responsive when you need to speak with him or her.

There are also specific psychotherapy interventions that can be performed by a therapist or psychiatrist. The therapy of bipolar illness should typically include the following elements: patients, and if possible family members, should learn how to recognize depression, mania or hypomania, and mixed states. It is best if a mood chart is used to spot seasonal and other patterns. Also, charting the mood helps a person recognize that it is the illness making them feel badly, not just the events in their daily life. Once a person knows how to identify specific mood states, they can then receive cognitive behavioral therapy to learn skills to deal with the feelings and distorted thoughts in each mood state. The therapist can also work with the patient and their family to make the home safer. In addition, the family can implement strategies to lessen social isolation and help their bipolar loved one to find one's gift, and applying it so as to gain a sense of usefulness and worth. The therapist can also monitor and encourage medication compliance since noncompliance with medications is a common dilemma with people with bipolar disorder, which in turn can lead to suicidal thoughts.

Another intervention is to have trusted friends or relatives know about the illness and become educated about it, so that they can observe and help the affected person when they experience altered mood states. Spouses should be invited to appointments with a psychiatrist or therapist.

Additionally, having a written plan of what to do if you or one's loved one is contemplating suicide can be helpful.

Continue Learning about Suicide & Suicidal Behavior

Suicide Warning Signs
Suicide Warning Signs
Suicide is a top 10 cause of death in the United States and the second leading cause of death among young people ages 15-24 years. According to adoles...
How to Help Someone Who Is Contemplating Suicide
Suicide is more common in our country than murder, says Jeff Sommers, MD, a psychiatrist from Henrico Doctors' Hospital in Richmond, Virginia. “We hav...
How can I help my child after a suicide attempt?
Ms. Julie A. FastMs. Julie A. Fast
The first thing to remember is that suicide is a very common symptom of bipolar disorder. I’ve been ...
How should I talk to a person who is about commit suicide?
World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)
The following are special interview suggestions for talking with a person with serious mental illnes...