What are common methods of suicide around the world?

Suicide methods vary from region to region. In the United States, for example, handguns are the means of choice in 61 percent of suicides. Pesticides account for 58 percent of suicide deaths in China, and 48 percent of suicides in Canada result from hanging.

Continue Learning about Suicide & Suicidal Behavior

5 Suicide Risk Factors You Need to Know About
It’s troubling but true: suicide rates are on the rise in the United States. In 2016, 44,965 Americans completed a suicide, up from 44,193 in 2015 an...
News: Anthony Bourdain Dead at 61
News: Anthony Bourdain Dead at 61
Anthony Bourdain, chef, author and host of CNN's Parts Unknown, has died by apparent suicide. The network reports the 61-year-old was found Friday mor...
How can I cope with people's reactions to a relative's attempted suicide?
World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)
Neighbors or other people you know may ask about your relative who attempted suicide. Telling them c...
How should I talk to a person who is about commit suicide?
The following are special interview suggestions for talking with a person with serious mental illnes...