What should I do if my child says something that sounds suicidal?

Hal Runkel
Hal Runkel on behalf of ScreamFree
Marriage & Family Therapy
If your child says something that sounds suicidal, such as, "I don't want to be here" or "I'm going to kill myself," it's worth checking out. It doesn't mean that the child is suicidal. It's not worth freaking out, but it certainly is worth checking out. If your child has said it a couple of times, calmly, ask your child, "How? Have you thought about how you would do it? Have you thought about when you would do it?"

If the child has specifics, then it's something you absolutely need to get checked out with a professional. If the child doesn't have specifics, then it's not as much of a concern, but always take it somewhat seriously if your child is talking about not wanting to be here or actively killing himself or herself.

Continue Learning about Suicide & Suicidal Behavior

Suicide Warning Signs
Suicide Warning Signs
Suicide is a top 10 cause of death in the United States and the second leading cause of death among young people ages 15-24 years. According to adoles...
How to Help Someone Who Is Contemplating Suicide
Suicide is more common in our country than murder, says Jeff Sommers, MD, a psychiatrist from Henrico Doctors' Hospital in Richmond, Virginia. “We hav...
What can be done to prevent suicide?
Dr. Robert J. Roose, MDDr. Robert J. Roose, MD
To help prevent suicide, become more aware of the signs of suicidal thoughts and find out how to gui...
Can behavioral and psychological therapies reduce suicidal behavior?
Karyn HallKaryn Hall
Yes, psychotherapy has been shown to be effective in reducing suicidal behavior. Often the most effe...