Are there suicide warning signs in bipolar children and teens?

Mark Moronell, MD
The list here includes risk factors not signs.  Signs include: Giving prized possessions away; Making statements about not wanting to be here, wishing s/he were dead;  social withdrawal and isolation; talking about suicide and/or death frequently; decline in  personal appearance.
Suicide remains very common among teens and children with bipolar disorder. With treatment, the painful thoughts and emotions can be kept under wraps. The sooner they get help, the better. So keep your eye out for several warning signs. Be aware of a child or teen that stops caring about his appearance, seems to lose interest in activities or topics that previously were the coolest thing ever, and gives away cherished possessions such as electronics or a favorite shirt. A child who withdraws socially and isolates himself may also have suicidal thoughts. If a child or teen talks about hurting himself, or about death or suicide, seek help from a trained professional.

Continue Learning about Suicide & Suicidal Behavior

How to Spot These Subtle Warning Signs of Suicide
More than 47,000 people took their own lives in 2017, making suicide the 10th leading cause of death in the United States, according to the Centers fo...
Suicide Warning Signs
Suicide Warning Signs
Suicide is a top 10 cause of death in the United States and the second leading cause of death among young people ages 15-24 years. According to adoles...
How can I help my child after a suicide attempt?
Ms. Julie A. FastMs. Julie A. Fast
The first thing to remember is that suicide is a very common symptom of bipolar disorder. I’ve been ...
What are warning signs that my loved one may be about to attempt suicide?
World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)
The following are indicators that a relative or friend may be about to attempt suicide. The person m...