What are the warning signs of suicide in college students?

"While the warning signs of mental illness can be difficult to spot in the context of college where unusual sleeping patterns, experimental 'phases,' drug taking and binge drinking are common, there are several behaviors that should indicate that intervention is necessary," adds Dr. Kelly Posner, a leading expert in suicide research who helps the FDA and CDC on suicidality issues. She is an assistant professor of clinical psychiatry in the Division of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry at Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons and a child psychologist at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital. She is also on staff at the New York State Psychiatric Institute.

Warning Signs

• Any signs of depression, such as sad mood, reduced interest and enjoyment in life and a sense of hopelessness.
  • Withdrawing from friends and activities.
  • Talking about suicide. This may be stated directly — "I'm going to kill myself." Or indirectly — "You would be better off without me," "I wish I were not alive any more," or "Soon you won't have to worry about me anymore." Eight of 10 suicides verbalize their intention to commit suicide.
  • Giving away possessions.
  • Abrupt change in personality and behavior — including appearing sad, anxious or hostile most of the time or displaying unusual calmness after a loss or period of depression.
  • Sudden drop in school performance.
  • Dwelling on an academic or relationship setback or other loss of prestige or physical health.

• Continue Learning about Suicide & Suicidal Behavior

How can the media report on suicide in a responsible way?
    World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)
    Many groups have developed guidelines for reporting on suicide. Virtually every country with a natio...
    Why should I avoid discussing suicide with a relative with mental illness?
    It has been well documented that front-page suicides reported in the media result in a number of "co...
    What should I do if I have thoughts of suicide?
    Ileen CravenIleen Craven
    Pain comes in many forms and though many are taught about physical pain, there is less conversation ...
    How can I cope with people's reactions to a relative's attempted suicide?
    Neighbors or other people you know may ask about your relative who attempted suicide. Telling them c...