Should I talk to my child about a teen’s suicide?

Michele Borba
Though we want to protect our own children from such horrific news, please don’t. Our children need to know what to do if they hear or suspect a peer is depressed, bullied or even talking about ending their life. The sad truth is that bullying, depression and suicide affect our tweens and teens. Though childhood or teen suicide is rare, incidents of youth taking their lives due to bullying have been in the news recently. “Bullycide” is now the term for youth who have committed suicide because they were bullied.

We also know that most of the time before a teen commits suicide or homicide they do tell someone what they are planning – and usually the person they tell is a peer. Those are just a few reasons why we must talk to our children about these tough and painful subjects.
The Big Book of Parenting Solutions: 101 Answers to Your Everyday Challenges and Wildest Worries

Today show's Michele Borba's cures for difficult childhood behaviors In this down-to-earth guide, parenting expert Michele Borba offers advice for dealing with children's difficult behavior and hot...

Continue Learning about Suicide & Suicidal Behavior

Suicide Warning Signs
Suicide Warning Signs
Suicide is a top 10 cause of death in the United States and the second leading cause of death among young people ages 15-24 years. According to adoles...
What is suicide?
Maureen Q. Russell, MPH, RNMaureen Q. Russell, MPH, RN
Suicide is the intentional, and often violent, ending of one's own life - before one's time. For tho...
What should I do if my child says something that sounds suicidal?
Hal RunkelHal Runkel
If your child says something that sounds suicidal, such as, "I don't want to be here" or "I'm going ...
How common is death by suicide in European countries?
World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)
Among young and middle-aged people, especially men, suicide currently is a leading cause of death. Y...