Should I talk to my child about a teen’s suicide?

Michele Borba
Though we want to protect our own children from such horrific news, please don’t. Our children need to know what to do if they hear or suspect a peer is depressed, bullied or even talking about ending their life. The sad truth is that bullying, depression and suicide affect our tweens and teens. Though childhood or teen suicide is rare, incidents of youth taking their lives due to bullying have been in the news recently. “Bullycide” is now the term for youth who have committed suicide because they were bullied.

We also know that most of the time before a teen commits suicide or homicide they do tell someone what they are planning – and usually the person they tell is a peer. Those are just a few reasons why we must talk to our children about these tough and painful subjects.
The Big Book of Parenting Solutions: 101 Answers to Your Everyday Challenges and Wildest Worries

Today show's Michele Borba's cures for difficult childhood behaviors In this down-to-earth guide, parenting expert Michele Borba offers advice for dealing with children's difficult behavior and hot...

Continue Learning about Suicide & Suicidal Behavior

How to Spot These Subtle Warning Signs of Suicide
More than 47,000 people took their own lives in 2017, making suicide the 10th leading cause of death in the United States, according to the Centers fo...
News: Anthony Bourdain Dead at 61
News: Anthony Bourdain Dead at 61
Anthony Bourdain, chef, author and host of CNN's Parts Unknown, has died by apparent suicide. The network reports the 61-year-old was found Friday mor...
How should I talk to a person who is about commit suicide?
World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)
The following are special interview suggestions for talking with a person with serious mental illnes...
How can I help my child after a suicide attempt?
Ms. Julie A. FastMs. Julie A. Fast
The first thing to remember is that suicide is a very common symptom of bipolar disorder. I’ve been ...