How can my risk of suicide be reduced if I have bipolar disorder?

With effective care and treatment for bipolar disorder, the risk of suicide can be reduced. To reduce the chance of suicide, the treatment plan for those with Bipolar Disorder and comorbid substance abuse should include access to and ongoing relationships with healthcare professionals, strong connections to family and community support groups, restricted access to highly lethal means of suicide, and skills in problem solving and conflict resolution. All of these are important components in reducing the risk of suicide.

Continue Learning about Suicide & Suicidal Behavior

What is the suicide rate in Canada?
World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)
According to World Health Organization (WHO) data, Canada's overall suicide rate is 15 per 100,000 p...
What are common ways to commit suicide?
Though you may not be able to control some of the means of suicide, you should be aware of them. Som...
How can I cope with people's reactions to a relative's attempted suicide?
Neighbors or other people you know may ask about your relative who attempted suicide. Telling them c...
How can I help my child after a suicide attempt?
Ms. Julie A. FastMs. Julie A. Fast
The first thing to remember is that suicide is a very common symptom of bipolar disorder. I’ve been ...