How might the suicide of a loved one affect me?

Suicide claims a great many lives, and every suicide death affects an estimated six survivors. It is important, then, that the general public and members of the helping professions (including health care, education, and clergy) understand the grief experienced by survivors of suicide loss.
Survivors commonly feel intense shock and disbelief. They may engage in speculation about whether and how the death could have been prevented. Survivors often feel abandoned and isolated. Long time caregivers in particular may feel relief along with their grief, accompanied by intense guilt about their emotions. Typically the period of bereavement lasts longer than for a death due to natural causes.
When a death results from suicide, the sadness of loss experienced by family and friends may be compounded by confusion, anger, and other overwhelming emotions. The media may shine an unwelcome spotlight on the event, thus adding to the stress of the tragedy. And, although attitudes toward suicide are changing, stigma still may produce discomfort, uncertainty, and embarrassment among many people in talking about the death as well as comforting the survivors of suicide loss.

Continue Learning about Suicide & Suicidal Behavior

News: Anthony Bourdain Dead at 61
News: Anthony Bourdain Dead at 61
Anthony Bourdain, chef, author and host of CNN's Parts Unknown, has died by apparent suicide. The network reports the 61-year-old was found Friday mor...
The Subtle Warning Signs of Suicide in Kids That Everyone Should Know
There’s a troubling new health trend among kids, according to data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). After years of relative...
How can the media report on suicide in a responsible way?
World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)
Many groups have developed guidelines for reporting on suicide. Virtually every country with a natio...
What should I do if I think someone is suicidal?
International Bipolar FoundationInternational Bipolar Foundation
As angry as it may make your friend and maybe even their family, when a friend won't get help and co...