How might the suicide of a loved one affect me?

Suicide claims a great many lives, and every suicide death affects an estimated six survivors. It is important, then, that the general public and members of the helping professions (including health care, education, and clergy) understand the grief experienced by survivors of suicide loss.
Survivors commonly feel intense shock and disbelief. They may engage in speculation about whether and how the death could have been prevented. Survivors often feel abandoned and isolated. Long time caregivers in particular may feel relief along with their grief, accompanied by intense guilt about their emotions. Typically the period of bereavement lasts longer than for a death due to natural causes.
When a death results from suicide, the sadness of loss experienced by family and friends may be compounded by confusion, anger, and other overwhelming emotions. The media may shine an unwelcome spotlight on the event, thus adding to the stress of the tragedy. And, although attitudes toward suicide are changing, stigma still may produce discomfort, uncertainty, and embarrassment among many people in talking about the death as well as comforting the survivors of suicide loss.

Continue Learning about Suicide & Suicidal Behavior

Chris Cornell of Soundgarden Dead at 52
Chris Cornell of Soundgarden Dead at 52
Chris Cornell, lead singer of Soundgarden and titan of grunge music, killed himself by hanging in Detroit, Michigan, on Wednesday, May 17. Cornell pla...
5 Suicide Risk Factors You Need to Know About
It’s troubling but true: suicide rates are on the rise in the United States. In 2016, 44,965 Americans completed a suicide, up from 44,193 in 2015 an...
How can I help my child after a suicide attempt?
Ms. Julie A. FastMs. Julie A. Fast
The first thing to remember is that suicide is a very common symptom of bipolar disorder. I’ve been ...
Do baby boomers have a higher rate of suicide than previous generations?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
A pair of disturbing statistics highlighted health headlines in 2008. At the start of the year, info...