How can the government help prevent suicide?

A number of countries have established national suicide prevention plans or strategies. Their principles and action steps represent good sources for developing specific policy recommendations to present to governmental and legislative leaders. Common elements of these plans and strategies include:
  • Campaigns to increase public awareness of suicide as a preventable problem, to develop broad based support for prevention efforts, and to reduce stigma
  • Community development to support creation and implementation of suicide prevention programs
  • Improved access to services to suicidal people and their loved ones, and improved service delivery efforts through development of guidelines and linkages
  • Media education to improve reporting and portrayals of suicide in the media
  • Training for caregivers to improve recognition of at-risk behavior and delivery of effective treatments
  • Incorporation of licensing standards for professional caregivers
  • Development and promotion of effective clinical and professional practices
  • Means restriction initiatives to reduce access to lethal means and methods of self harm
  • Research and evaluation to promote and support research, improve surveillance systems, and evaluate the effectiveness of new or existing suicide prevention interventions

Continue Learning about Suicide & Suicidal Behavior

5 Suicide Risk Factors You Need to Know About
It’s troubling but true: suicide rates are on the rise in the United States. In 2016, 44,965 Americans completed a suicide, up from 44,193 in 2015 an...
What are common ways to commit suicide?
What are common ways to commit suicide? Some common ways to commit suicide are chemicals, weapons, a...
What should I do if I think someone is suicidal?
What should I do if I think someone is suicidal? If you think someone is suicidal, do not leave him ...
What questions should I ask a person who may be considering suicide?
What questions should I ask a person who may be considering suicide? You must be absolutely sincere ...