What are some dangerous ways that teens try to get high?

Michele Borba
Some things never change: teens have always been risk takers, thrill seekers and want to fit in. But oh the "creative" ways adolescents try to get high these days… like soaking tampons with liquor and inserting them, infusing alcohol into gummy bears and popping them anyplace and anytime, and drinking hand sanitizer. They even have clever ways to store their stash these days like in sandals that come with a handy small canteen and bottle opener on the side, in small flashlights or emptied marking pen holders. But some kid crazes are flat-out dangerous: pouring Vodka into your eye (which could burn your cornea or even cause blindness) or even lethal such as mixing Robitussin DM cough syrup with Sprite and a Jolly Rancher. Many items kids use are right in your home from hairspray, whipped cream, deodorant, glue, nail polish remover, and even cleaning spray. Youtube videos are plentiful and not only sensationalize the craze but provide kids with play-by-play directions.

Many of these crazes are not new, some are trending in only certain geographic areas, and a few are just mind-boggling. Regardless, do let your teen know you're aware of these activities. While there are no guarantees, studies show that when teens know they're being monitored, their risky behaviors often decrease. Meanwhile, keep repeating this mantra to your kid over and over: "Getting high -- no matter how you do it -- has health risks that could be permanent. There are "no take backs."
The Big Book of Parenting Solutions: 101 Answers to Your Everyday Challenges and Wildest Worries

Today show's Michele Borba's cures for difficult childhood behaviors In this down-to-earth guide, parenting expert Michele Borba offers advice for dealing with children's difficult behavior and hot...

Continue Learning about Substance Abuse In Teens

How common is inhalant abuse among teens?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Inhalant abuse (called "huffing") is intentionally inhaling a chemical vapor of some type to att...
What should I do if my teenager has started smoking?
Armin BrottArmin Brott
Here are some things you can do to help your teen know the dangers of smoking:Take it seriously. It’...
When should I talk to my child about drinking alcohol?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
You must talk to your child about drinking and the earlier the better. Before age nine, kids usually...
How can I stop my daughter from using drugs or alcohol to cope with stress?
Dale M. Valentine, MDDale M. Valentine, MD
Here are some suggestions that may help:Have family dinner together. Set up a scheduled meeting to t...