What should I do if my teenager has started smoking?

Armin Brott
Pediatrics
Here are some things you can do to help your teen know the dangers of smoking:

1. Take it seriously. It’s going to be a lot easier to quit now than it will be in a few years.
  2. Be sure your teen knows the specific and detailed health risks of smoking. At the very least, it causes bad breath, yellow teeth, and stinky clothes—things no self-respecting teen can afford to have. It also reduces stamina, causes sore throats and coughing, and is very expensive. Oh, and don’t forget about cancer and emphysema. Ask your family doctor to lead the discussion, since there’s a better chance that your teen will hear it from a non-parent.
  3. Make it clear that it’s a big deal to you, and that no smoking is allowed under any circumstances or in any amount. Be sure to base your position on health risks, not simply on “because-I-said-so.”
  4. Be involved. Support and encourage your child in quitting. Get professional help if necessary. Start by visiting www.smokefree.gov or calling 1-800-QUITNOW, a service of the centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Continue Learning about Substance Abuse In Teens

What are different ways that teens get high on marijuana?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Marijuana use among teens is on the rise. The study by the Partnership at Drugfree.org, sponsore...
Why is spice or K2 dangerous for teens?
Raychelle C. Lohmann, MS, LPCRaychelle C. Lohmann, MS, LPC
The drug known as "Spice" or "K2" is synthetic cannabis.  It has really increased in popularity amon...
The Designer Drug More Potent Than Cocaine
The Synthetic Marijuana Causing Zombielike Reactions