What are the dangers of huffing?

Michele Borba
Inhalant abuse (called "huffing") is intentionally inhaling a chemical vapor of some type to attain a "high" or euphoric effect. Huffing effects can be both short and long term depending upon the substance abuse and in what concentrations they are abused. Huffing can cause permanent damage to the brain, heart, liver, kidneys, and brain. Huffing can also lead to cardiac arrest, asphyxiation, aspiration or suffocation from inhalation as well as death. Serious consequences can occur after just the first time of use.
The Big Book of Parenting Solutions: 101 Answers to Your Everyday Challenges and Wildest Worries

Today show's Michele Borba's cures for difficult childhood behaviors In this down-to-earth guide, parenting expert Michele Borba offers advice for dealing with children's difficult behavior and hot...

Continue Learning about Substance Abuse In Teens

Should I worry about my 13 year old drinking alcohol?
Joane GoodroeJoane Goodroe
A new survey shows that about 6% of children between the ages of 12 to 14 are drinking alcohol on a ...
How can a pediatrician help my teen deal with a substance abuse problem?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
A pediatrician can help your teen deal with a substance abuse problem by directing your teen to the ...
Why is marijuana dangerous for teens?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Marijuana is the most commonly abused illegal drug by teens. Do note the word "illegal" -- a rec...
How do drugs and alcohol affect a teen's social development?
Fredrick WadeFredrick Wade
The primary impact is on the brain. Introducing alcohol and drugs into the body of an adolescent has...