How can I teach my teenage daughter about the dangers of drinking?

Armin Brott
Pediatrics
Don’t underestimate the importance of setting a good example for your daughter. In other words, if you and your spouse drink regularly, your anti-alcohol arguments will likely fall on deaf ears. Set standards in your home that you want your daughter to follow, and reinforce your message of abstinence by your own behavior.

Think about how you can work with your daughter on building her self-esteem and sense of self-worth. The goal is to get her better equipped to withstand the temptations around her and to choose friends and activities that are positive and healthy.

Of course, even if your daughter goes on the wagon entirely, she may still find herself someplace where her friends might be imbibing. So remind her that she should never ride in a car with someone who’s been drinking. Let her know that she can call you at anytime and you’ll pick her up wherever she is. No questions asked, no judgments made.

Continue Learning about Substance Abuse In Teens

Why are bath salts dangerous for teens?
Raychelle C. Lohmann, MS, LPCRaychelle C. Lohmann, MS, LPC
Bath salts are comprised of two synthetic compounds, mephedrone and methylenedioxypyrovalerone (say ...
Why is purple drank dangerous for teens?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Purple Drank is a slang term for a recreational drink combining over-the-counter cough syrups (s...
The Impact of Designer Drugs
The Impact of Designer Drugs
Why Designer Drugs Are Attractive
Why Designer Drugs Are Attractive