How does stress affect drug use and drinking in teenage girls?

Michele Borba
There is a direct correlation between stress and teenage alcohol abuse among girls. The 2009 National Survey on Drug Use and Health (by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration) found that stress is the main reason teen girls are using drugs. Girls also related that they are using drugs as a way to cope with problems at home. This confirms research from varying sources showing teen stress is mounting as well as teen depression.

Keep a lid on the stress at home. Find ways to cope as a family (walking, exercising, eating healthier, sticking to a sleep routine).

Teach coping strategies and stress reducers to your teen (yoga, deep breathing, stress management techniques).

Continue Learning about Substance Abuse In Teens

Why has the abuse of prescription and OTC drugs by teenagers increased?
Dr. John C. Eustace, MDDr. John C. Eustace, MD
The teenage brain--the immature brain--seeks new thrills and excitement, and many thrill seekers in ...
What lessons on youth substance abuse can I use with my child?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
After almost a decade of a decline in teen drug abuse, a new survey out this month shows a marked an...
The Health Risks of Taking Flakka
The Health Risks of Taking Flakka
Do You Know Your Children's Passwords?
Do You Know Your Children's Passwords?