Why do some recovering addicts relapse?

George Joseph
Addiction Medicine
Brain changes in addiction are profound and take many years to normalize. Because of this, addicts early in recovery often relapse due to decision-making impairments. Many of our patients cannot answer the question, "What were you thinking?" Triggers, like environmental cues or emotional pain, can change the addict's behavior automatically because the addiction center lies in the subconscious. Researchers have discovered that we can strengthen the addict’s defense against a relapse by enhancing their overall wisdom, resiliency, equanimity and innate coping skill set.

Continue Learning about Substance Abuse and Addiction

New Info About Risks of Smoking Anything
We weren’t blowin’ smoke when we warned (over and over) about the health risks of smoking—anything! We know you want to kick the habit: Over 80 percen...
How do I know if I am enabling someone?
Enabling is when you are trying to help someone when, in fact, you are doing the opposite. In th...
How can I help prevent prescription painkiller abuse?
Dr. Howard J. Shaffer, PhDDr. Howard J. Shaffer, PhD
The following rules can help prevent misuse of prescription medications: Keep your doctor informed...
What Causes Nicotine Cravings During Addiction Recovery?