Why do people develop strange addictions?

Dr. Mike Dow, PsyD
Addiction Medicine
A strange addiction, such as wearing a fur animal suit, is a way for someone to express parts of their personality that they have difficulty expressing without the aid of these furry costumes. And when someone is shy, hiding behind a furry mask (or for gamers in virtual worlds, new names and identities) helps a person to feel a certain way. When you boil down addiction, isn't part of the definition simply not wanting to feel the way you're currently feeling? And have you ever worn something (your work suit, four-inch heels, a uniform) that makes you feel more powerful, sexy, or confident?

Continue Learning about Substance Abuse and Addiction

Hidden Hookah Dangers
Hidden Hookah Dangers
The use of hookahs -- pipes that bubble tobacco smoke through water before you puff -- doubled among middle- and high-schoolers in just one year. Now ...
Heroin Addiction: What You Should Know
Heroin Addiction: What You Should Know
Picture in your mind a heroin addict and chances are you’re picturing him or her wrong. Anyone can be addicted to heroin. In fact, according to the Ce...
What should I do if I have a relapse into addiction?
If you experience a relapse during your recovery from substance abuse, don't give up. Call your spon...
What can states do to help prescription painkiller abuse?
States are critical to reversing the prescription drug overdose epidemic. The following policies sho...