Why are the holidays especially difficult if I’m sober and in recovery?

Dr. Mike Dow, PsyD
Addiction Medicine
The holiday season is especially difficult if you're in recovery because there are temptations at every turn. In this video, psychotherapist Mike Dow, PsyD, explains how holiday celebrations and travel can be extra stressful for those who are sober. 

Continue Learning about Substance Abuse and Addiction

How to Get Help for Widespread Drug Use Disorder
In the 2002 made-for-TV movie, The Secret Life of Zoe, Julia Whelan (Zoe) plays a teenager whose divorced mother (Mia Farrow) and father (Cliff De You...
Are behavioral addictions less common than addictions to substances?
Howard J. Shaffer, PhDHoward J. Shaffer, PhD
In general, behavioral expressions of addiction, such as gambling, are less prevalent than addic...
Why is it dangerous for opioid users to turn to heroin?
St Francis Medical CenterSt Francis Medical Center
It is dangerous for opioid users to turn to heroin because there is no Food and Drug Administration ...
How can I tell if someone is addicted to prescription drugs?
Dr. Charles J. Sophy, MDDr. Charles J. Sophy, MD
You can tell if someone is addicted to prescription drugs by watching his/her behavior. Most addicts...