Why might elderly people be hesitant to take prescribed opioid medication?

Dr. Timothy W. Fong, MD
Neurologist

Doctors sometimes see elderly adults who are hesitant to take prescription opioid medication. "Doc, I don't want to become addicted.” Or, “Doc, I'd rather have anything else, other than opioids to treat my pain" are some examples. However, doctors know that pain is one of the biggest triggers and reasons people develop addiction. They strongly encourage patients to become informed and educated about prescription pain pill use. Addiction doesn't happen overnight. It can take several weeks, to several months to develop this disease.

Continue Learning about Substance Abuse and Addiction

How to Avoid a Relapse During the Most Stressful Time of Year
The holidays are meant to be a time of rest and enjoyment, surrounded by warmth and loved ones. But in reality, it tends to be a time of last minute s...
What is binge drinking in women?
Binge drinking in women is consuming four or more drinks in one session, usually within about two ho...
Why is it dangerous for opioid users to turn to heroin?
St Francis Medical CenterSt Francis Medical Center
It is dangerous for opioid users to turn to heroin because there is no Food and Drug Administration ...
What Causes Nicotine Cravings During Addiction Recovery?