What is substance dependence?

Howard J. Shaffer, PhD
Addiction Medicine
Substance dependence is a condition characterized by repetitive and often excessive substance use, impaired control over substance use, continued use of substances despite adverse consequences, and withdrawal symptoms that emerge when the substance use is discontinued.

Continue Learning about Substance Abuse and Addiction

How to Help a Recovering Addict
How to Help a Recovering Addict
Recovery is different for everyone, but it’s a process in which individuals work to create a positive change in their overall behavior, outlook and id...
What's the best way to handle an addiction?
Dr. Mike Dow, PsyDDr. Mike Dow, PsyD
If you or someone you love is affected by addiction, OCD or hoarding, the best treatment is usua...
Why can prescription painkillers be dangerous?
Deaths from prescription painkillers—opioid or narcotic pain relievers, including drugs such as Vico...
How Do I Know If I Am Enabling Someone?
How Do I Know If I Am Enabling Someone?