What is Sizzurp?

Paul  Hokemeyer, PhD
Marriage & Family Therapy
Made famous by Justin Beiber, Three 6 Mafia and Lil' Wayne, "Sizzurp" (or "Lean" or "Purple Drink") is a combination of prescription cough syrup which consists of codeine (highly addictive opiate) and a prescription grade antihistamine. The combination of these two, when taken in extreme dosage, has the impact of suppressing one's cardiovascular system, which means the heart can stop, and the pulmonary system, which means the lungs could stop breathing.

Typically, kids are getting the ingredients from their friends or their parents' medicine cabinet. I would encourage everyone to take a hard look at the phenomenon of “sizzurp," which is a lethal, addictive and intoxicating substance that has been glamorized by pop stars.

Continue Learning about Substance Abuse and Addiction

Ask the Experts: How to Help Someone With an Opioid Addiction
If you have a loved one who is affected by opioid addiction, you are not alone. Learn about opioid use disorder, opioid withdrawal symptoms and how to...
How many people are addicted to painkillers?
The Physicians for Responsible Opioid Prescribing report that 25% of those on opioid medication (oft...
What substances can trigger addictive physiology?
Kelly TraverKelly Traver
While the word addiction may make you think of smoking, alcohol, cocaine, or methamphetamine, there ...
How Can I Help Someone Who Is Addicted to Drugs?