What is prescription drug abuse?

Prescription drug abuse is using prescribed medication for purposes other than for what they were originally prescribed, or using them in a way different from how they were prescribed. This could be taking more pain pills in a day than were intended, or doubling up on sleeping pills. It could also be taking a pain pill just for the feeling of the euphoria it can cause or to numb one's emotions when being stressed. It may also include using medications without a prescription.

Continue Learning about Substance Abuse and Addiction

The Next Wave of the Opioid Epidemic
The Next Wave of the Opioid Epidemic
Opioids are powerful and addictive painkillers that can create a sense of euphoria—and stop your breathing—and their abuse is on the rise. According ...
Stopping Addiction Before It Gets Started
In Joseph Heller’s 1961 novel Catch-22, a bomber pilot is considered insane if he continually flies combat missions without asking to be relieved from...
Ask the Experts: Methods of Treating Opioid Use Disorder
Overdoses from opioid drugs are a leading cause of accidental deaths among Americans. Learn how support groups, medications that help alleviate opioid...
How can I prevent becoming addicted to my prescription drug?
The following steps can help you and your healthcare provider prevent an addiction to a prescription...