What is physical dependence?

Howard J. Shaffer, PhD
Addiction Medicine
Physical dependence is the process through which the body becomes accustomed to a psychoactive drug or rewarding behavior and "misses it" if it's taken away. People with physical dependence who stop or cut down the use of their substance or activity of choice might develop uncomfortable and characteristic withdrawal symptoms.

Continue Learning about Substance Abuse and Addiction

Night of Conversation: Facing Addiction over Dinner
November 15 marked 2018’s Night of Conversation: Facing Addiction over Dinner, when parents sat down together with their children to talk about alcoho...
Should I worry that my elderly mom consumes more than one drink a day?
More than one drink a day puts your elderly mom above the recommended limit of no more than seven dr...
Do smoking and drinking alcohol make me more likely to get sick?
Dr. Andrea Pennington, MDDr. Andrea Pennington, MD
Cigarette and cigar smokers tend to get more severe colds, flus and they get them more frequently. S...
What Are the Signs of Drug Addiction?
What Are the Signs of Drug Addiction?