What is Ecstasy (MDMA)?

Ecstasy, also called MDMA (3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine), is a synthetic, illegal drug that has characteristics of both stimulants and hallucinogens. It is typically produced in capsule or tablet form and is usually taken by mouth, although health care providers have documented cases in which people injected or snorted the drug. Researchers have found that women may experience more intense psychoactive effects of Ecstasy than men. Ecstasy interferes with learning and memory and may produce damaging changes in brain structures and chemistry. It increases heart rate and blood pressure and can disable the body's ability to regulate its own temperature.

There is a large body of evidence that links heavy and prolonged MDMA use to confusion, depression, sleep problems, persistent elevation of anxiety and aggressive/impulsive behavior. Because of its stimulant properties, when used in club or dance settings, it enables users to dance vigorously for extended periods but can also lead to severe rises in body temperature (hyperthermia), as well as dehydration, hypertension and even heart or kidney failure in susceptible people.

This content originally appeared on HealthyWomen.org.

Continue Learning about Substance Abuse and Addiction

Heroin Addiction: What You Should Know
Heroin Addiction: What You Should Know
Picture in your mind a heroin addict and chances are you’re picturing him or her wrong. Anyone can be addicted to heroin, not just homeless street peo...
Why has there been a rise in the use of opioids?
Eric Egeler, PharmDEric Egeler, PharmD
There has been a rise in the use of opioids because a federal government policy asked the medical co...
What can I do if I think I've become addicted to opioids?
St Francis Medical CenterSt Francis Medical Center
If you think you've become addicted to opioids there are resources out there that can help with wean...
Do Young Adults Understand Risk?
Do Young Adults Understand Risk?