What is denial and how do I recognize it?

Deepak Chopra
Alternative & Complementary Medicine
Denial is looking past the problem instead of facing it. Psychologists consider denial the most childish of the three behaviors because it is so intimately linked to vulnerability. The person in denial feels helpless to solve problems, the way a young child feels. Fear is linked to denial, and so is a childlike need for love in the face of insecurity.

The underlying idea is "I don't have to notice what I can't change in the first place." You can catch yourself going into denial when you experience lack of focus, forgetfulness, procrastination, refusing to confront those who hurt you, wishful thinking, false hope, and confusion. The main external sign is that others don't depend on you or turn to you when a solution is needed. By pulling your attention out of focus, denial defends with blindness. How can you be accused of failing at something you don't even see? You get past denial by facing up to painful truths. Honestly expressing how you feel is the first step. For someone in deep denial, any feeling that makes you think you are unsafe is generally one you have to face.

Denial begins to end when you feel focused, alert, and ready to participate despite your fears.

Continue Learning about Substance Abuse and Addiction

What Are the Signs of Drug Addiction?
What Are the Signs of Drug Addiction?
What Common Addiction Behaviors Fascinate You?
Understanding Addiction and Addictive Behavior
What Causes Nicotine Cravings During Addiction Recovery?