What is delirium tremens?

Delirium tremens (DT) is a life threatening condition characterized by tremulousness (or shakiness), insomnia, confusion, agitation, and hallucinations (visual, auditory and tactile).  Patients can also develop tachycardia ("racing heart"), high blood pressure, profuse sweating and fever.  DTs occur in chronic alcoholics who suddenly stop drinking alcohol; they begin within 6-8 hours of stopping and peak at 24-48 hours after cessation.    
Delirium tremens is a serious condition of alcohol withdrawal. It is accompanied by mental and neurological changes. Delirium tremens is usually brought on 48-72 hours after alcohol intake is stopped and at the end stages of the withdrawal process. Delirium tremens presents with physical and mental changes that, if left untreated, can be deadly.

Continue Learning about Substance Abuse and Addiction

Heroin Addiction: What You Should Know
Heroin Addiction: What You Should Know
Picture in your mind a heroin addict and chances are you’re picturing him or her wrong. Anyone can be addicted to heroin, not just homeless street peo...
How can I prevent becoming addicted to my prescription drug?
The following steps can help you and your healthcare provider prevent an addiction to a prescription...
What is Women for Sobriety?
Women for Sobriety (WFS) is an alternative to the well-known Alcoholics Anonymous 12-step program. F...
How Do I Know If I Am Enabling Someone?
How Do I Know If I Am Enabling Someone?