What is delirium tremens?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD
Delirium tremens is a serious condition of alcohol withdrawal. It is accompanied by mental and neurological changes. Delirium tremens is usually brought on 48-72 hours after alcohol intake is stopped and at the end stages of the withdrawal process. Delirium tremens presents with physical and mental changes that, if left untreated, can be deadly.

Continue Learning about Substance Abuse and Addiction

How to Choose an Addiction Treatment Center
If drugs were easy to stop abusing, there would be no need for 12-step programs, rehab facilities, methadone and a host of other treatment options. Bu...
Do substance abuse patients share any common traits?
Robert RozsayRobert Rozsay
Yes, substance abuse patients share common traits. They have developed unhealthy survival skills to...
What are some behavioral signs of substance abuse?
George JosephGeorge Joseph
Behavioral signs of substance abuse:• Lack of motivation and performance in school or at work• Sudde...
How Can I Help Someone Who Is Addicted to Drugs?