What is individualized counseling for addiction?

Howard J. Shaffer, PhD
Addiction Medicine
Individualized counseling for addiction focuses specifically on getting the client to stop or reduce the use of a substance or an addictive behavior. It also helps him or her deal with the adverse repercussions of addiction, which can include joblessness, legal trouble, and family or social conflict. Rather than delve into unconscious processes, individualized counseling sets discrete short-term practical goals and helps clients to develop strategies for coping with craving and for maintaining abstinence.

Continue Learning about Substance Abuse and Addiction

Can Medical Marijuana Laws Curb Opioid Use?
Trading one drug for another is a risky proposition, but sometimes it works—swapping heroin for methadone, for example. What about medical marijuana a...
Are painkillers considered part of the substance abuse problem?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
Overuse of prescription and over-the-counter pain medications is a form of substance abuse. Accordin...
What can health providers do to help prevent prescription painkiller abuse?
Healthcare providers can follow guidelines for responsible prescribing, including screening and moni...
How Can I Help Someone Who Is Addicted to Drugs?