What is the government doing to stop prescription painkiller abuse?

Multiple agencies across the Federal government are working collaboratively to address prescription painkiller abuse. In April 2011, the White House Office of National Drug Control Policy released an action plan which guides Federal agency work on prescription drug abuse. Components of the plan include tracking prescription drug overdose trends to better understand the epidemic; working with stakeholder organizations to educate health care providers and the public about prescription drug abuse and overdose; and evaluating and promoting programs and policies shown to prevent prescription drug overdose, while making sure patients have access to safe, effective pain treatment.

Continue Learning about Substance Abuse and Addiction

Ask the Experts: When Should I Talk to My Doctor About a Possible Opioid Addiction?
In this video, Dr. Oz discusses who is at risk for opioid addiction, how to recognize the symptoms of opioid addiction and why you need to work with y...
What's the best way to handle an addiction?
Dr. Mike Dow, PsyDDr. Mike Dow, PsyD
If you or someone you love is affected by addiction, OCD or hoarding, the best treatment is usua...
Why do I need counseling to quit drinking/using drugs?
Dr. Ramani Durvasula, PhDDr. Ramani Durvasula, PhD
Drug and alcohol abuse get put into place by numerous forces so addressing it also requires a comple...
Can You Stop Addiction with Financial Incentives?