What can I expect as I recover from substance abuse?

During your recovery, you can expect to experience withdrawal. Symptoms include anxiety or depression, convulsions, nausea, sweating and muscle spasms.

Talk to your healthcare provider to determine whether medical care is warranted. Your doctor may consider medication to help with withdrawal.

Continue Learning about Substance Abuse and Addiction

Ask the Experts: How to Help Someone With an Opioid Addiction
If you have a loved one who is affected by opioid addiction, you are not alone. Learn about opioid use disorder, opioid withdrawal symptoms and how to...
Why might a doctor hesitate to prescribe opioids to seniors?
Mercy HealthMercy Health
Doctors might hesitate to prescribe opioids to seniors for the following reasons:  When older peo...
How do drug and alcohol addictions in the elderly typically begin?
Dr. Timothy W. Fong, MDDr. Timothy W. Fong, MD
Doctors know that after age 55, stressful and life situations happen. It could be the loss of a part...
What Common Addiction Behaviors Fascinate You?