What age groups are at risk of prescription drug abuse?

Howard J. Shaffer, PhD
Addiction Medicine
Various surveys show that young adults (ages 18 to 25) reported the highest rate and largest increase in prescription drug abuse for each of three use timeframes: the past month, the past year, and during their lifetime. Adults over age 50 also are misusing prescription drugs in record numbers. Although this older demographic constitutes just 13% of the population, they take about one-third of all medications prescribed in the United States, making them more prone to potential prescription drug abuse.

Continue Learning about Substance Abuse and Addiction

Ask the Experts: Transitioning Off Opioids
Stopping opioids is not easy, and many experience withdrawal symptoms. Learn what to expect, how to prepare and the importance of working with your he...
What is denial and how do I recognize it?
George JosephGeorge Joseph
Denial is the inability to believe in the existence or reality of something. In addiction, denying t...
How does substance abuse affect my bipolar disorder?
Thomas JensenThomas Jensen
In general, drugs of abuse are very destabilizing for people with bipolar disorder. This is true...
How Can I Identify Harmful Substance Use or Addiction?