What can affect my response to drugs and alcohol?

Howard J. Shaffer, PhD
Addiction Medicine
Although objects of addiction can have profound effects on the brain, the brain itself exerts some control over how it allows itself to change. Your mindset and expectations when you're using a psychoactive substance or engaging in a rewarding activity—what psychologists call your "set"—can have a significant effect on how you respond to the experience.

For example, just believing that you'll experience an effect from a drug—even if you don't actually take it—can alter your behavior. This well-known placebo effect even applies to pleasure-enhancing substances, as evidenced in a series of experiments with college students. The students were put into a mock barroom setting and served what they believed were alcoholic beverages. In fact, only some of the students were drinking alcohol, while the others were drinking placebo drinks. Nevertheless, students who had drunk no alcohol behaved in just as inebriated a manner as those who had.

Continue Learning about Substance Abuse and Addiction

Ask the Experts: Preventing a Relapse
Ask the Experts: Preventing a Relapse
Once you transitioned off of opioids, there is still work to be done. Watch Dr. Oz explain tips for avoiding a relapse of opioid use, along with steps...
If I have withdrawal symptoms, does it mean I'm addicted to a substance?
Howard J. Shaffer, PhDHoward J. Shaffer, PhD
Withdrawal (experiencing certain physical symptoms when use of the substance is stopped or cut b...
Do substance abuse patients share any common traits?
Robert RozsayRobert Rozsay
Yes, substance abuse patients share common traits. They have developed unhealthy survival skills to...
What Are the Medical Causes of Smoking Addiction?