What are the treatment options for delirium tremens?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Treatment for delirium tremens involves life-saving measures to control fever, heart rate, blood pressure, and anxiety. Benzodiazepine, a mild sedative, is usually administered at the beginning of treatment to reduce anxiety, and haloperidol is given for hallucinations. Because benzodiazepine is addictive, the doctor will usually discontinue as soon as possible and rely on other medications to reduce anxiety. Phenytoin, or another anticonvulsant, helps to reduce tremors and seizures, and medicines like clonidine help control cardiovascular symptoms. Intravenous fluids help prevent dehydration, and high doses of thiamin prevent Wernicke's encephalopathy, a complication of severe alcohol abuse. The doctor will also address any complications that arise during withdrawal, like pneumonia and pancreatitis. Once the emergency has been handled, the doctor will discuss the importance of long-term care to avoid alcoholism and other complications resulting from extensive alcohol abuse.

Continue Learning about Substance Abuse and Addiction

The Truth Behind Kratom, Touted Opioid Alternative
When Hofstra University’s departments of Earth Sciences and Geology helped put together a teaching guide for GeoTeach to sort out the facts from scien...
Heroin Addiction: What You Should Know
Heroin Addiction: What You Should Know
Picture in your mind a heroin addict and chances are you’re picturing him or her wrong. Anyone can be addicted to heroin. In fact, according to the Ce...
How can my environment affect my response to drugs and alcohol?
Howard J. Shaffer, PhDHoward J. Shaffer, PhD
The social and environmental context within which a person uses a psychoactive substance (any su...
How can I help someone who is addicted to drugs?
Dr. Harry L. Haroutunian, MDDr. Harry L. Haroutunian, MD
If you suspect someone is using drugs, gently confront the person with others who care (not alone); ...