Should I talk to my doctor about nicotine addiction?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

A doctor can help you set up a plan to quit and teach you the effects of smoking. Nicotine addiction is connected to many harmful diseases in virtually every organ of the body. Additionally, cigarette smoking is one of the leading causes of death in the United States. Although some people can quit smoking without help, a doctor can help you to find the products and programs that work best for you.

Continue Learning about Substance Abuse and Addiction

Side Effects of Opioid Medication
Side Effects of Opioid Medication
Opioids—a class of drug that includes oxycodone, hydrocodone and codeine, as well as heroin, morphine and fentanyl—may knock out the pain, but they ca...
Can my primary care doctor diagnose a substance abuse problem?
Howard J. Shaffer, PhDHoward J. Shaffer, PhD
A survey by the National Center on Addiction and Substance Abuse at Columbia University found th...
What is the mind-altering drug MDVP?
George JosephGeorge Joseph
The newest over-the-counter mind-altering substance known as MDPV is marketed mainly as bath sal...
Is there any harm in women drinking to combat stress or nervousness?
For women, drinking to combat stress or nervousness can lead to harm. Women often begin to abuse alc...