Should I take medication to help me quit an addiction?

Howard J. Shaffer, PhD
Addiction Medicine
Many people have concerns that medication prescribed to help cut down on a substance or behavior might lead to over-reliance on the medication, cause unwanted side effects, or change their personality. If your doctor suggests that you take a medication to help you overcome your addiction, be sure that you understand the answers to the following questions:
  • Why is this particular medication appropriate for me?
  • How does this medication work?
  • What can I expect to feel as a result of taking this medication?
  • What are the side effects or other risks associated with taking this medication?
  • How long does this medication take to work, and how long would I need to stay on it?
  • Is this medication safe to take with my other medications?
  • What might happen if I don't take this medication?

Continue Learning about Substance Abuse and Addiction

How to Avoid a Relapse During the Most Stressful Time of Year
The holidays are meant to be a time of rest and enjoyment, surrounded by warmth and loved ones. But in reality, it tends to be a time of last minute s...
What lifestyle changes signal substance abuse?
Debra DibartoloDebra Dibartolo
Substance abuse disorders are interesting disorders. They are hallmarked by denial and minimization....
How can I reduce harm from alcohol and drug use?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
Here are some ways to reduce the risks of drug use:Know the drug(s) you are taking. Be aware of the ...
What Common Addiction Behaviors Fascinate You?