What can I do if I am predisposed to addiction?

Douglas E. Severance, MD
Family Medicine
If you are predisposed to addiction, it is important to avoid drugs and alcohol. In this video, addiction specialist Douglas Severance, MD, talks about being proactive and finding less risky alternatives for managing pain.
George Joseph
Addiction Medicine
It is hard to determine how the disease of addiction will affect someone or whose life it will consume. However, when you know the factors involved that may predispose someone to this disease, we can begin to make choices that eliminate the risks for addiction. One can choose not to drink in college if their father was an alcoholic. A teenager already using tobacco may make a wise choice not to try pot knowing that it has the potential risk for being a “gateway” to more dangerous drugs. A woman recovering from back surgery may choose not to double up on her pain medication when she is aware that her grandmother had psychiatric illnesses that caused her to over-medicate. The will power and courage to understand this disease and to make the best decisions based on your own personal factors comes into play long before the addiction takes hold.

Continue Learning about Substance Abuse and Addiction

Recreational Marijuana: How Safe Is it?
Recreational Marijuana: How Safe Is it?
When Cheech and Chong lit up the movie screens with their marijuana-fogged dialogue they probably never imagined cannabis would become legal. But toda...
Can I recover from a substance abuse disorder without treatment?
Howard J. Shaffer, PhDHoward J. Shaffer, PhD
According to one study, 72% of Americans with substance use disorders eventually seek treatment ...
How can my environment affect my response to drugs and alcohol?
The social and environmental context within which a person uses a psychoactive substance (any su...
Understanding Addiction and Addictive Behavior