What does the phrase "one day at a time" mean in addiction counseling?

Brad Lamm
Addiction Medicine
In alcohol and drug addiction treatment, people are introduced to the phrase "one day at a time" as a way to begin something unfathomable without getting overwhelmed by the process. As with anything, consistent practice breeds results that are incomparable with the inconsistent effort.

Continue Learning about Substance Abuse and Addiction

What Does an Opioid Overdose Do to Your Body?
Emergency rooms across the country are seeing an increase in opioid overdoses (ODs). In 2016, opioids killed 42,249 Americans, more than any other yea...
What can increase a woman's odds of developing a substance use disorder?
The following factors can increase a woman's odds of developing a substance use disorder: Poor se...
How can I help someone who is addicted to drugs?
Mercy HealthMercy Health
To help someone who is addicted to drugs, first recognize that you can't fix the problem yourself. T...
How Do I Know If I Am Enabling Someone?
How Do I Know If I Am Enabling Someone?