Is sex addiction a medical condition?

Madeleine M. Castellanos, MD
Psychiatry
Sex addiction isn't without controversy. Even though the term is commonly used in popular culture, the American Psychiatric Association doesn't currently recognize "sex addiction" as a condition, nor is it listed in their widely used clinical bible, the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. Still, most experts nonetheless agree that there are growing numbers of people who find themselves in the grip of compulsive sexual behaviors that feel as if they are beyond their control: behaviors that seriously damage their lives as well as those of their loved ones. Even if they disagree about the term "addiction," they understand this behavior can be very impulsive, and even compulsive in nature.

Continue Learning about Substance Abuse and Addiction

Protecting Children from the Opioid Epidemic
The old saying “curiosity killed the cat” dates back to the middle of the 16th century. And the idea “cats have nine lives” may predate that. Some bel...
What drugs are most commonly abused?
Drugs that are most commonly abused include opioid pain medications, central nervous system depressa...
Do substance abuse patients share any common traits?
Robert RozsayRobert Rozsay
Yes, substance abuse patients share common traits. They have developed unhealthy survival skills to...
How Can I Help Someone Who Is Addicted to Drugs?