What increases my risk for delirium tremens?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Because delirium tremens is primarily the result of alcohol withdrawal, the more you drink, the more your risk for developing delirium tremens increases. Even if you do not attempt to quit drinking, a heavy drinker is at increased risk of delirium tremens from an infection, illness, or head injury. Some studies have also shown that genetics, age, liver problems, and other illnesses, may play a part in determining who suffers from delirium tremens during alcohol withdrawal.

Continue Learning about Substance Abuse and Addiction

The Next Wave of the Opioid Epidemic
The Next Wave of the Opioid Epidemic
Opioids are powerful and addictive painkillers that can create a sense of euphoria—and stop your breathing—and their abuse is on the rise. According ...
Recreational Marijuana: How Safe Is it?
Recreational Marijuana: How Safe Is it?
When Cheech and Chong lit up the movie screens with their marijuana-fogged dialogue they probably never imagined cannabis would become legal. But toda...
How do I know if I am enabling someone?
Enabling is when you are trying to help someone when, in fact, you are doing the opposite. In th...
Can my primary care doctor diagnose a substance abuse problem?
Howard J. Shaffer, PhDHoward J. Shaffer, PhD
A survey by the National Center on Addiction and Substance Abuse at Columbia University found th...