How does unemployment affect the risk of drug abuse?

George Joseph
Addiction Medicine
The tremendous stress, rejection, fear and frequent bouts of depression that often result from being unemployed are high risk factors for the development of a drug use problem. Many people who are struggling with the negative effects of unemployment turn to alcohol or drugs to mitigate the discomfort and sense of helplessness they feel. This is a serious mistake, and it can destroy your entire life.

Continue Learning about Substance Abuse and Addiction

Can Marijuana Be Used Responsibly?
Can Marijuana Be Used Responsibly?
Weed, ganja, pot—whatever you call marijuana, facts about its risks and benefits seem harder to come by than a sober fan at a Willie Nelson concert. B...
What are withdrawal symptoms?
Joel H. Fuhrman, MDJoel H. Fuhrman, MD
Discomfort after stopping an addictive substance is called withdrawal, and it is significant because...
Are drugs of abuse more likely to harm me as I get older?
Seth  JaffeSeth Jaffe
Unfortunately as we grow older our tolerance for drugs/alcohol grows weaker and more fragile. Any op...
How Can I Help Someone Who Is Addicted to Drugs?