How do I quit if I often take prescription pain killers/tranquilizers?

Before you decide to quit, it is important to assess your ongoing needs. Do you still have serious pain or anxiety? If so you will need to come up with an alternative plan to treat these problems once you reduce or discontinue your tranquilizers and pain medications. Because withdrawal from some medications can be very uncomfortable and even dangerous, it is always best to consult with a qualified medical professional prior to discontinuing any medication, even if you’re pretty sure you don't want to take it anymore. Your prescribing physician should be able to offer guidance on how best to reduce or stop taking your medication and give referrals for other services.

Continue Learning about Substance Abuse and Addiction

5 Ways to Beat Opioid Withdrawal
5 Ways to Beat Opioid Withdrawal
Quitting a heroin or prescription opioid addiction is a brave and commendable decision; it’s also incredibly difficult. But you don’t have to do it co...
What can I do if I think I've become addicted to opioids?
St Francis Medical CenterSt Francis Medical Center
If you think you've become addicted to opioids there are resources out there that can help with wean...
What is binge drinking in women?
Binge drinking in women is consuming four or more drinks in one session, usually within about two ho...
What Are Risk Factors for Addiction?
What Are Risk Factors for Addiction?