How much of a problem is drug addiction in the United States?

Drug addiction is deadly and yet it still is not well understood by both the medical community and the public. In any given year, almost half of the U.S. adult population suffers from a severe addiction, and yet there is still a lot of stigma around addicts or people who suffer from this disease. Even their treatment, such as in methadone clinics, has very negative connotations associated with it. 

Continue Learning about Substance Abuse and Addiction

Side Effects of Opioid Medication
Side Effects of Opioid Medication
Opioids—a class of drug that includes oxycodone, hydrocodone and codeine, as well as heroin, morphine and fentanyl—may knock out the pain, but they ca...
How does replacement therapy help me break an addiction?
Dr. Mike Dow, PsyDDr. Mike Dow, PsyD
Replacement therapy can help break an addiction by replacing the element you are addicted to with a ...
Should I worry that my elderly mom consumes more than one drink a day?
More than one drink a day puts your elderly mom above the recommended limit of no more than seven dr...
Understanding Addiction and Addictive Behavior